Comment on page
WhatsApp Channel Activation FAQ's
Before you can get started with WhatsApp you first need to activate your channel. In this article we will discuss the below topics:
- Channel approval is at WhatsApp's discretion and is out of our control
- Your phone number should be clean, meaning this cannot have been used previously for a different WhatsApp Business setup. Please check our guidelines for picking a number for further information: How to pick a number for WhatsApp Business.
- In order to get an Official WhatsApp Business account and have the green tick next to your name, you need to go through a separate process. Having a WhatsApp channel does not automatically mean you have an Official Business account. In order to apply for an Official Business account you must first activate your channel as per this guide. Following this you can read how to get an Official WhatsApp Business account here: Getting an Official Business Account ("Green Tick") for WhatsApp
My first channel
You will be asked to provide information regarding your WhatsApp channel, so please make sure you have details such as your display name and phone number at the ready. When setting up your first channel you will also need to have your Facebook Business account set up and verified. For instructions on these steps please check here: Verifying your Facebook Business account.
When you have entered all your details correctly the channel will be created for you automatically. If you are not seeing the channel creation, please check that the number you have picked is OK for use in accordance with these guidelines: How to pick a number for WhatsApp Business
To add additional channels please reach out to our Support team with the display name and new number. Our agents will make sure your number and display name will go for verification with WhatsApp and, once approved, our team will be able to create your WhatsApp channel. We will ask you to activate the channel with a verification code sent to your WhatsApp number as described below. When the channel is activated, you can start to send and receive messages.
Using my own WhatsApp Number
When the status changes from 'pending' to 'activate', please wait for 30 minutes to click on 'activate'. A verification code will be sent to your WhatsApp number via phone call or SMS.
Using a WhatsApp Number from MessageBird
As your number is from MessageBird, you’ll be required to verify the phone number from us. To do this, you’ll need to forward the verification code call to a phone number you have access to. You can find instructions on how to do this here. Once you have set up the call forwarding and the status changes from 'pending' to 'activate', please wait for 30 minutes to click on 'activate'. A verification code will be sent to your MessageBird WhatsApp number and forwarded to the set up number via a phone call.
Note: make sure to select receive verification code by phone call when using a MessageBird number, otherwise you cannot activate the account.
Below we've outlined the most common issues that our customers run into during their channel activation.
- Your WhatsApp display name
- Your WhatsApp phone number
- A description of the issue/error you are running in to