Comment on page
Picking a number for WhatsApp Business
All WhatsApp Business API accounts are based on a valid phone number. The following rules apply:
- You must own this number and be able to access it during the time your channel is active.
- The number must include a country code and an area code.
- If it is a voice-only capable number, or a landline, it must be able to receive international calls.
- The number must be able to receive international calls or SMS for the channel activation.
- The number needs to be 'clean', which means it mustn't have been registered with another WhatsApp user. If you are using a number for the WhatsApp App and would like to use this in the API, it is possible to migrate the number. Please follow the steps in WhatsApp phone number: From mobile app to API
These types of numbers are accepted:
- Landline numbers that accept international calls
- Mobile numbers
- Virtual Mobile Numbers (VMN); Need to be voice-capable to receive the activation token by call. VMNs can be purchased from MessageBird.
These types of numbers are not accepted:
- Numbers with an IVR (automated call menu) attached to it, unless this can be disabled to receive the activation token.
- Toll-free numbers
- Voice capable numbers unable to receive international calls
- Voice capable numbers that require extra zeros or digits apart from the international number format. A phone number in full international format includes a plus sign (+) followed by the country code, city code, and local phone number.